For the Cake:
1 cup candied pecans ( pan roasted in butter, with a sprinkle of magic dust added at end (oh and what you ask is magic dust?) Well that is 1/2 cup of brown sugar mixed with a 1/2 cup of boxed dry butterscotch pudding mix…the kind you have to cook, not instant).
1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup of cornstarch
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp all spice
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp.
3 tblsp + 1/2 cup olive oil divided
1 and 1/2 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs (or 3 duck eggs)
3/4 cup of dark rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp of butterscotch extract
For Me Crazy:
2 shots of rum
1/2 cup of OJ
For the Syrup:
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
1 cup of pure cane sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of water
3 tbsp of fresh OJ
1 cup of dark rum
1. Preheat oven to 375˚ F. Grease and flour bundt pan . Sprinkle with the candied pecans.
2. Open the rum and pour some in a glass, add OJ and ice…take a few, two three, four sips.
3. In a medium bowl, wisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, spices and salt
4. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add the flour mixture and 3 tbsp of olive oil and mix on low speed for two minutes – should look like wet sand. Add the pudding mix and mix again on med low speed until combined.
5. Add more rum to glass and take a few more sips.
6. In a medium bowl, wisk together the eggs, milk, rum remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil, vanilla and butterscotch extracts. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and beat on med until thoroughly combined, about 2 to 3 min.
7. Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 50 to 6O min, or until a tester inserted into the center of cakes come out clean.
8. Don’t for get to take a few sips!
9. When the cake has about 10 minutes left to bake, start the rum syrup. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan over med heat. Once it is melted, add the sugars and the water. Boil for 5 minutes , stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and stir in the rum. Once it is mixed in, return it to med heat for 30 seconds.
10. Time for another sip!
11. When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately pour about one third of the rum syrup over the bottom of the cake. Pour slowly so it has time to seep in to the cake. Let it set for 5 minutes.
12. Invert the cake onto a serving platter. Using a fork or skewer, poke holes all over the cake – the top, sides and around the inside. Don’t be shy with the holes. Slooooooowly pour the remaining rum syrup over the top of the cake.
13. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature before serving. Leftovers can be kept, tightly wrapped, at room temp for up to 5 days.
14. Bottoms up!!!